Monday 20 April 2015

How to give up your job and travel the world

So nine weeks ago near enough, I began the start of my year (or more) long adventure to the other side of the world; Australia. A journey I had been planning in my head for many years, but the reality was, nothing could have prepared me for what waited for me on the other side...

A word of advice for anyone thinking of doing anything similar - do not hesitate. There is no point waiting around to see if your best mate Sarah will come (she won't come). Take the plunge and go solo. Solo travelling isn't for everyone, and I have to admit it took a lot for me to say goodbye to my wonderful family and friends back in the UK. However, now, eight weeks in, I am wondering what all the fuss was about. Yes, I had a job waiting for me once I had arrived, but the fact of the matter is, you're never short of people to meet whilst you're travelling, especially in the tourist hyped backpacker areas. You will find work and you will make friends, even it means forcing yourself on to someone (don't do this!).

Sometimes it is about going out of your comfort zone and challenging yourself. I organised this whole trip by myself, which shocked a lot of people back home when I told them.  How could I trust the family I was going to work for? How did I know I would even enjoy it? Well these are all questions waiting to be answered, right when you step off that plane and have to fend for yourself. Yes it's insanely scary and exciting too, but just remember, if worst comes to worst, you can always jump straight back on that plane back home. Of course, this wasn't an option for me when I began to compare Sydney to the likes off West Bromwich, my home town. I think I'll stay here for a little while longer thanks!

Just remember, research is key. Whether you have been pondering your trip for a while, or if it's a spontaneous last minute one, make sure you have some sort of plan so you're not left stranded in the middle of nowhere! Australia is very westernised as you may know. So I knew even if I didn't have a job or anywhere to stay, I would be safe. However, the same can't be said about Asia (another place I'm visiting on my travels). No matter how many times you've been travelling, you can never be too certain about your own safety. 

I know a lot of people envy what I am doing right now. Some would say I am living the dream. I have no responsibilities, lots of time on my hands and most importantly, a free mind. Even though it's important to have some idea of where you'll be going, being open minded is key when travelling (as noted in my previous post). With an open mind, you will be amazed at how easy things seem...

For me, it all started when I finished university and started working full time. My life was lacking something to say the least. Spinning in my office chair for days on end became tedious. I was irritable, yearning for something more. My concentration levels often sunk after a few hours at work, with lunch being the highlight of my working day. Okay I get it, you're not meant to 'love' work, but for me it seemed so wasteful to wish my life away like this. I didn't hate my job but I wasn't hugely passionate about it either, which above all else, made me extremely sad. I want to find something that is worth getting up for, whatever that may be. And here I am - travelling the world - a one way to ticket to a sea of opportunities. On this journey, besides building on life experiences and fun aspect, I also want to find exactly that.

With this blog, I am able to build on my writing experience, an essential tool for anyone seeking a career in the the PR/ comma industry, as well as keep up to date with the real world. But for now it's time to enjoy myself and remember why I quit my job in the first place and decided to travel the world...


                                                  

                                                 Facebook Twitter - Instagram - Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a little message! I really appreciate all your kind comments :)

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...