Thursday 12 February 2015

Laser Eye Surgery - Is it worth it?


On Friday I decided to take the plunge and get my eyes corrected (hopefully forever). Laser eye surgery is something I had been considering for a while, but for various reasons, had never actually gone through with it. This included not being financially stable, but more significantly; the risks involved. It's only recently, since starting a new role and speaking with various individuals in my office who had had it done, that I decided to go ahead with it. I booked my consultation at Optical Express in no time, and after little persuasion put down my £400 deposit. But why now you may ask? Obviously the money plays a big part in it - I can afford to use my savings now I have a regular income, but the main reason behind my decision lies in the fact that I am going travelling in April for a year or so.

For those glasses and contact wearers out there, you will understand my ordeal. Taking a year or more supply of contacts backpacking isn't ideal. Not only do you have the cost implications, there is also the inconvenience. Along with the worry of misplacing these, you also are limited on what activities you can and can't do. Take swimming for example - this is strictly out of bounds unless you want to run the risk of going blind that is. I can't remember the last time I went swimming properly and that upsets me a little. Wearing glasses in the glaring hot sun isn't ideal either which again means you'll have to resort to contacts. However, contacts are known for drying out and can often become uncomfortable in the heat - a symptom known as dry eyes. 

Now don't get me wrong - the risks involved with laser eye surgery are far higher than any of those associated with contacts. In fact, dry eyes is one of the most common side effects of laser eye surgery, along with glaring lights, both of which I have experienced already. The good thing about these side effects is that they are not permanent or untreatable. I am now using three different types of eye drops four times a day and have regular check ups before I go away, but so far, so good. I am sitting here writing this post five days post of surgery and I cannot believe how quickly I am recovering. Don't get me wrong, the procedure itself wasn't pleasant (more of that later), but right now if you asked me if it was worth it I would say 100%, and I still haven't achieved the full results yet (this could take weeks).

It is common fact that everyone recovers differently. One of the ladies I work with claimed that she had to sit in darkness for two months post surgery, whereas I am back at work and doing just fine. In fact, I was able to use my tablet just hours after surgery. This isn't something I would recommend, but it just goes to show how fast technology is advancing. With Lasik surgery, you are able to return back to work within 48 hours which is just incredible! Most people who qualify for laser eye surgery are eligible for this type of surgery, which not only offers faster recovery, but also claims to be pain free. Lasek on the other hand (the other type of surgery) requires a much longer recovery period (2-3 weeks) and is said to be much more painful. Luckily I qualified for the most advanced surgery on the market: Lasik iDesign, with guaranteed 20/20 vision. 

I must admit, my initial reaction after surgery was questioning what I had done. I can't say the procedure was painful as it wasn't, but it was very uncomfortable. I think the worst part  was being awake throughout it all, even though the procedure itself takes little under ten minutes. Your initial reaction to anything entering your eyes is to blink, but this is something you are incapable of doing. This was a real concern of mine prior to surgery, along with something going wrong of course, but rest assured, nobody has ever gone blind from laser eye surgery. Afterwards, I couldn't wait to get home and close my eyes but after an hour or so in bed I felt okay to get up again. Since then I have been wearing goggles to bed each night, and have been extra careful not to get water near my eyes for a week (this includes when bathing or showering). Obviously it's not convenient not being able to wash your hair properly, but you get over it. I don't even mind the fact that I cant wear makeup for a while, I just wish I could work out! Hopefully I will be back at the gym in no time and feeling a little more human!


So overall - a terrifying but incredible experience and one I will definitely remember for a lifetime - it doesn't get much better than that. One word of advice if you are considering surgery - do not be afraid and put it off like many people do. I think I have been treated at a prime time in my life; I am young, have a stable prescription, but most importantly, this will have a huge impact on my future. To find out more or to book your FREE consultation, visit the website today.

Have you considered laser eye surgery? What are you thoughts on the procedure?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a little message! I really appreciate all your kind comments :)

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...