Tuesday 3 February 2015

Bun and Bowl Valentine's Menu Review

On Sunday evening, I was fortunate enough to be invited along to a Valentine's tasting event at The Bun and Bowl in Birmingham. I have never been to The Cube before, let alone this restaurant, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Let's say, it didn't fail to exceed my expectations. I have been meaning to get involved with some 'foodie' events for a while now, so this was the perfect opportunity for me to make myself known, and of course, try lots of exciting new foods. Of course, the company didn't go a miss either. The Birmingham bloggers are a lovely bunch, and I was even introduced to some new faces including the lovely Tasha who organised the event.

Once we had settled in and everyone had ordered their cocktails (which were delicious may I add), we got started on our four course menu. Throughout our meal we were taken through each dish by the wonderful owner who was extremely pleasant like the rest of his staff. We also got to enjoy the likes of Frank Sinatra in the background, thanks to the rather talented violinist.


To start, we were all brought out a curious looking appetiser - a 'cappuccino' of mushroom soup alongside a canapé of toast with wrapped salmon, avocado and caviare. I am not a huge fan of mushroom soup, but I must say, this was very pleasing on the taste buds. It had quite a creamy texture and was just the right temperature to drink whole. I would never have thought of putting soup in a shot glass, but alongside the canapé of toast, this worked perfectly. The salty texture from the soup along with the delicate taste of the canapé made this a winning course. But the fun didn't stop there, to accompany our appetisers, we were each brought out a glass of red champagne, which may I add was also delightful. I have never been a huge champagne drinker but this Moet champagne with Strawberry Coulis was to die for. I would definitely try this again!

                   

                   

Next it was on to the starter - oyster served over ice, topped with lemon juice and croutons. Like many of the other bloggers, I had never tried oysters before (I am not a huge lover of seafood if I am honest), but I thought I would be brave and give it a go! I cant say I was filled with joy. I was warned about the texture beforehand, but what I wasn't prepared for was the overpowering taste of the sea! I somehow managed to eat it but I don't think I will be trying it again any time soon. The struggle to get it in my mouth was enough to put anyone off. Yes I did end up nearly eating the shell too, thanks Ellie! However, there was no doubting that these oysters were fresh, and the perfect aphrodisiac for any Valentine's menu.


For mains we were served a 'slider' burger with a side of fries. The burger itself was made with rib-eye steak - so as you can imagine, delicious! It was cooked to perfection too - medium rare with just the right amount of succulence. I felt like I was eating a mini steak in fact! The fresh brioche bun almost crumbled as I went in for the kill - it was very tasty indeed. Topped with sweet caramelised onions, foie gras and of course the classic lettuce and tomato; this was the perfect little burger. For dips we had two sauces; BBQ and a black truffle sauce which were both lovely. The black truffle was my favourite though, I could have definitely done with a bottle of this!

                  



To bring the event to a close, we were spoilt with one more dish - dessert - leaving the best till last some would say. This consisted of strawberries, meringue alongside a mixture of sorbet. I am not a huge fan of meringue, but this was so light and creamy and worked extremely well with the fruit and tangy sorbet. I loved the use of flavours in this dish and wasn't left craving anything else afterwards. The perfect amount of sweetness; the perfect end to a wonderful evening. 


Have you visited Bun and Bowl before? Their Valentine's menu is priced at £30 per head and there are still a few places left if you are still looking for somewhere to book. This includes one starter, one main and one dessert which is pretty good value if you ask me. I can't say I am a Valentine's expert but I wouldn't mind being treated to this exquisite menu on 14th February. If it's tasty food, great service and a relaxed atmosphere you are after, then get yourself down to The Bun and Bowl. I can assure you, you wont be disappointed! To find out more, or to book a table click here.

*Please note: We were invited to this restaurant to try their Valentine's menu. This meal was complimentary and all opinions are my own.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a little message! I really appreciate all your kind comments :)

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...